FC Barcelona Considers Nasdaq Listing for Digital Unit Barca Media
According to a report by the newspaper Expansion, Spanish soccer club FC Barcelona is considering a strategic move to list its digital unit, Barca Media, on the Nasdaq Stock Market. The club aims to achieve this through the establishment of a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC), with Swiss private equity fund Mountain Partners playing a role in the plan. Although still in the preliminary phase, the potential initial public offering (IPO) is projected to take place by the end of this year, should the plan progress.
Under this proposal, FC Barcelona would maintain an 80% ownership stake in Barca Media, while the remaining 20% would be held by the SPAC. According to Expansion's sources, this transaction would value Barca Media at approximately 1 billion euros ($1.09 billion).
Barca Media is responsible for managing FC Barcelona's online video business, as well as overseeing the digital assets and intellectual property rights associated with the FC Barcelona brand in the realm of digital media and e-sports.
When approached for comment, FC Barcelona's spokesperson was not immediately available, and Mountain Partners did not respond to the request for a statement.