Jack McGlynn: Finalist for 2023 U.S. Soccer Young Male Player of the Year
|Philadelphia Union midfielder Jack McGlynn (16) looks for a play during an MLS first round playoff match between the New England Revolution and the Philadelphia Union on November 8, 2023, at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts(Image-Getty)
After making a significant impact in the midfield for the U.S. Under-20 Men’s Youth National Team and contributing to the Men’s Olympic Team's strong start, 20-year-old midfielder Jack McGlynn is now a finalist for the 2023 Chipotle U.S. Soccer Young Male Player of the Year.
The opportunity for fans to participate in the U.S. Soccer End of Year Awards voting has opened, with the fan vote carrying 15% weight in the total vote. Nominees for all awards undergo careful selection by U.S. Soccer’s technical staff. Voting began on December 11 and concludes on December 18, with the announcement of the winners in the weeks that follow.
Let’s delve into McGlynn’s standout moments from 2023:
1. U-20 Men’s Youth National Team Cycle:
- Tied for the team lead with 21 appearances, showcasing his pivotal role as a distributor in the midfield.
2. 2023 FIFA U-20 World Cup:
- Played all five games during the USA’s quarterfinal run, starting four matches and contributing to the team's achievement of reaching the final eight for the fourth consecutive U-20 World Cup.
- The U.S. finished fifth overall, standing out as the only team not to concede a goal in the group stage, marking a significant accomplishment with three wins in pool play.
3. Men’s Olympic Team Contributions:
- Featured in all four matches during October and November, aiding in the team's preparations for Paris 2024.
- Provided an assist in the USA’s 4-1 victory against Japan on Oct. 17 in Phoenix.
4. Club Level Achievements with Philadelphia Union:
- Following a breakout 2022, became a cornerstone for one of the league’s top teams.
- Made 44 appearances across all competitions, contributing three goals and four assists.
5. MLS Regular Season Impact:
- Played in a career-high 27 MLS regular season matches, contributing to Philadelphia Union's sixth-straight playoff appearance.
6. Playoff Performance:
- Played a crucial role in the MLS Cup Playoffs, teeing up the game-winning goal in the first-round series against New England Revolution.
7. Concacaf Champions League and Leagues Cup:
- Helped the Union reach the Concacaf Champions League Semifinals, starting all six games and providing a key assist in the quarters against Atlas.
- Played a vital role in the team's third-place finish at the inaugural Leagues Cup, scoring in the group stage against Queretaro and assisting in the third-place game against Monterrey.
Jack McGlynn's versatile and impactful performances across youth, Olympic, and club levels position him as a deserving finalist for the prestigious U.S. Soccer Young Male Player of the Year award.